Attractions in Southern Snowdonia
- Visitor information for the Dyfi Valley
- Walking – Walk straight from the cottage door into the azalea-filled Dell for the start of the Nature Trail. Follow the trail zig-zagging up the hillside to see wildflowers, trees, shrubs and stunning views of the Dyfi Valley and Pumlumon (five peaks) range. It is about a two mile round trip up to Llyn Ruck (see photo below) and back.
- Long walks further afield: Cadair Idris (8 miles), Darren Hendre and Cwm Maethlon (3 miles)
- Wales Coast path passes 1 mile away
- Machynlleth (1 mile) unspoilt market town with independent shops, swimming pool, Y Tabernacl arts centre, Owain Glyndwr Centre, pubs and restaurants. From Machynlleth, all types of days out – beach, walking, birdwatching, sightseeing – are possible without the car. Trains run south to Aberystwyth, north to Aberdyfi and beyond, along the spectacular Cambrian Coast to Pwllheli. Buses run from Machynlleth throughout the Valley, see bus and train guide
- Mountain bike trails from Machynlleth and cycle hire from Dolgellau
- Centre for Alternative Technology (3 miles) – displays and activities on renewable energy and sustainable living.
- Seaside: Aberdyfi (8 miles) with 5 miles of sandy beach, Yacht Club and water sports
- kite surfing locally and ComeandTry adventures in Wales
- Children’s activities: Talyllyn Steam Railway with Thomas the tank engine, King Arthur’s Labyrinth, pony trekking, Corris Railway
Things to do in spring: – see garden rhododendrons in flower and wildflowers on Snowdonia hillsides, nesting birds at RSPB Ynys-hir and the Dyfi Osprey Project.
- Things to do in autumn and winter: watch ducks, geese and wading birds on the river Dyfi, shop at craft fair at Aberystwyth Arts Centre and at local farmers’ markets.
- Autumn festival in Machynlleth with lantern procession
- Birdwatching: Ynyshir nature reserve (6 miles), Red Kite Safaris (book in advance)
- Golf: Aberdyfi, Harlech (top championship courses in N Wales), Borth, Machynlleth.
- Fishing: book in advance through the New Dyfi Fishing Association
- Machynlleth Music Festival – last week in August with art & music (welsh choral, folk, jazz, classical).
Information on suppliers of local and organic food, and arts and craft venues are available in the cottage.
Adventure – Wales attractions
- Coast Path walking, mountain biking, climbing, white water rafting, zipwire – see VisitWales website